Friday, August 23, 2013

A Place to Live

When I moved back to the Netherlands I thought it would take me at least a year to find a place to live. When I inquired at City Hall about my prospects of finding suitable housing they told me it would take at least 6 to 7 years. 
Because of my (at the moment) non existing monthly income I would be entitled to social housing which means that the rent of the property has to be below a certain amount in order for me to get financial aid down the road.
I had to sign up at Woningnet (where all available social housing is listed), and had to make a profile. Based on this I could look at properties and the site would show me how my chances would be to acquire that (rental) property. 
So one day I decided to do just that (it was Monday July 22) and I started looking at the houses and apartments. My eye caught a brand new senior apartment complex in Utrecht. Would this be something for me? There were 15 2 bedroom apartments available and 7 3 bedroom apartments.  The 3 bedroom apartments had a great number of sign ups. Only one person had signed up for a 2 bedroom. That evening I talked about it with my relatives and decided to give a shot at the 2 bedroom apartment.  When I signed up already 4 people had signed up too. The  sign up time would close the next morning at 8 AM. The site told me my chance of success of acquiring this apartment was 0 %. 
Two days later I received an email that they offered me a 2 bedroom apartment.
I was in shock and could not believe it. How about 0 % success? Maybe I was at the right place at the right time to get this?
On open house day I looked at the different 2 bedrooms and liked what I saw. I made a list of my favorites and turned that in and on August 6 I received a phone call telling me that the apartment on the 12th floor would be mine if I wanted it and if all the paperwork was okay. 
I could not believe that I would be so lucky to find housing within 3 months of my return. 
I made sure all the paperwork I had to turn in was received in time. There was a small hick up but with the help of City Hall and 10 Euro I got the proper document that was missing and so it all worked out. 
I signed the rental agreement yesterday and will receive the keys this coming Monday.

So everyone asks me " How come you already get housing?" 
I think it is very simple.
I fit all the criteria: over 55, income below certain scale, been living abroad for over 4 years and I don't have independent housing at the moment. But the most important thing why I am so lucky is that there are plenty of 2 bedrooms available but not enough people who want them.

Ain't I lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment